Saturday, October 23, 2010

Delusions of Grandeur

A few weeks ago I was walking home from school.  Granted, I was in my "teacher clothes" but I looked just like any other blonde walking down the streets of Bangkok.  It had been a long day and I was looking forward to coming home, eating a salad and hitting the gym*.  I didn't think that I looked particularly teacher-like so I was pleasantly surprised when three school-age girls gave me a wai.

Photo: Thai Ministry of Culture

A wai is the Thai form of greeting, hands pressed together in a prayer position.  It is a sign of respect.  Teachers garner a lot of respect in Thailand and these girls obviously knew that.  I was really impressed. I thought: I love Thailand.

I walked a few more paces and then stopped and turned around.  I had a nagging feeling that I had gotten a little too excited about my place in Thai society.

I was right.


This guy was behind me.

I am an asshole.


*coming home, drinking a beer and smoking a cigarette

1 comment: